Sunday 16 February 2014

It's Time

I have been putting off starting this Scientific Parenting Project for a long time now. I first thought to do this about 18 months ago, when I first read Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project. A few things have stopped me. I wanted to start in January, or September, or at least at some meaningful time of the year. I wanted to wait until Harry started school/work wasn't so busy/Tom could understand reason; the list never ended. Basically, I thought I would wait until this whole parenting thing felt easier, less like a daily crisis. How stupid is that? Clearly parenting is something I need to focus on if I perceive constant crises.

A few things have happened over the past month or so that have spurred me on to action. The boys are now 3 & 6; in many ways it doesn't get better than this. They can hold meaningful conversations, and still adore their parents. Still, I often find the joy in parenting distinctly lacking. Sadly the boys do pick up on this. One of my PhD students practiced a puppet interview on Harry and he very clearly stated that mummy does not like playing with him. And a few weeks ago before the boys' babysitter came over I was being particularly short-tempered, and Harry said, "I can't wait for Eve to come and for you to leave."

It's time to sort this whole parenting thing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment