Monday 24 March 2014

Bumpy Weekend

Shall I list the low-lights? Shall I?

1) Discovered that I managed to loose Harry's scooter earlier this month. Visual: £100 note flouting away. This is the sort of thing that starts me on a self-loathing jag that is pure poison.

2) Teaching the boys the appropriate use of the word "SH**!" when Tom spilt his milk in the living room. I don't really care about the language, I care about my lack of control. It's a wood floor, it's not like it fu**ing matters.

3) I hesitate to list this one as a low-light, because it was also a high-light. Dinner out with friends was lovely. But it was a £100 night, and the food was only fine, and the service was poor. Ouch. Stuff like that bugs me; it's my beef with most holidays. Aren't you glad you're not married to me?

And the crowning glory:

4) Shouting at the 3-year-old in the middle of a car park to MAKE A DECISION AND STICK TO IT. Because that's developmentally appropriate.

5) Helping the 6-year-old to write in a journal that the worst part of his day was when his mummy shouted at his little brother. Knife to the heart kid.

Where did it all go wrong? I was short-tempered and grump all weekend. I think part of it was that I didn't have a good work-week last week, and that leaves me feeling out of sorts. I was also finding Harry particularly irritating. He cries and whines far more than Tom. That's just wrong. Sigh. It was disheartening.

Today is a new week. Onwards and upwards. I would like to say that it's off to a good start, but that would be a lie. I accidentally had caffeinated coffee last night so had a really poor night's sleep. Tried a new exercise class this morning. Had to leave after 5 mins for my normal reason. In front of fellow school gate mum who has birthed 4 children and resembles a rubber band.

Thank goodness for 3 good things. It really cheered me up last night to list the lovely points in the day. Harry reading to Tom! Both snuggled on my lap! So very sweet. They are also so quick to forgive & forget. If they can move on, so can I.

Off to meditate. Taking myself back to Week 1. Thanks blog, without you I would have given up on it by now.

2 comments:

  1. It's picking up and keeping going that counts. A poor night's sleep sabotages everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete